Globe Life Inc. (NYSE: GL) reported that for the quarter ended September 30, 2022, net income was $1.90 per diluted common share, compared with $1.84 per diluted common share for the year-ago quarter. Net operating income for the quarter was $2.15 per diluted common share, compared with $1.78 per diluted common share for the year-ago quarter.
- Net income as an ROE was 11.2% for the nine months ended September 30, 2022. Net operating income as an ROE excluding net unrealized gains or losses on fixed maturities was 13.1% for the same period.
- Life premiums increased 6% at the American Income Life Division and 5% at the Liberty National Division over the year-ago quarter.
- Total health premiums increased over the year-ago quarter by 7%.
- Total health net sales increased 10% over the year-ago quarter.
- 563,574 shares of Globe Life Inc. common stock were repurchased during the quarter.
COVID-19 Update: COVID life claims expense for the quarter ended September 30, 2022 was not significant, compared to $33 million in the quarter ended September 30, 2021. Year to date through September 30, we incurred $44 million of COVID life claims as compared to $82 million for the same period last year. For the full year, we expect to incur approximately $51 million of COVID life claims at the midpoint of our guidance, based on a range of $1.9 million to $2.1 million of COVID life claims per 10,000 U.S. deaths and total U.S. COVID deaths of 240,000 to 260,000. For 2023, at the midpoint of our guidance, we anticipate total COVID life claims of approximately $20 million based on estimated total U.S. deaths of approximately 105,000.